Overview of the Bear Butt Double Parachute Camping Hammock
The Bear Butt hammock is packed with features and benefits for you as serious outdoorsmen and women who demand durability and dependability in a portable and lightweight hammock that can hold 2 people and hold their weight comfortably.
It’s ideal for couples or singles, backpackers, campers, back yard loungers, and more. The feature that stands out the most is the 700-pound weight capacity of this hammock.
- Heavy-duty weight capacity
- Comfortable material
- Strong and durable hammock
- Ropes could be stronger
- It doesn’t come with straps
Bottom line: The Bear Butt Double Parachute Camping Hammock is an excellent choice for backyards and camping, but the lightweight of 1.5 pounds makes it a superb hammock for backpackers.
A Short History of Bear Butt
Bear Butt has a unique history. The founders produced eco-friendly hammocks and other camping gear but found that the more popular the brand became, the more capital they needed to build the business. The owners took it to Kickstarter with the goal to challenge NorthFace for the largest outdoor company in the world. They received pledges from 1,968 backers raising $176,608.
Today it’s a trusted brand with thousands of loyal followers. Bear Butt, like any brand, has its strengths and weaknesses, but more positives are going for them.
Further suggested reading: If you’re not 100% certain the Bear Butt hammock is for you but need something with a high weight capacity – check out our review of the Best Hammock for Big Guys.
Things to consider before buying a hammock
There are a few things that you should consider before purchasing a hammock. The best hammock is the one that best meets your needs and preferences, not necessarily the one that your buddy or that online website recommended.
To help you determine what you want in a hammock we’ve put together a list of factors for you to consider before making a buying decision.
What is the situation you plan to use the hammock for? Is it camping, back yard use, or backpacking? Your intended use sets the priorities for the types of features you should look for.
It’s better to have a hammock that is too large than one that is too small. Check the dimensions before you buy and make sure that the hammock is long enough and wide enough for you and the space you intend it to occupy. Also, think about whether you plan to use it as a single or if a partner will join you.
Not all hammocks are created equally. It’s best to go with a hammock that is made of strong and durable materials like ripstop nylon that holds up under repeated use. Also, check for things like triple reinforced stitched seams to prevent any unwelcome fraying.
The best outdoor hammocks are portable and can be set up and taken down in minutes. Look for a hammock that folds up into a small size for easy placement in a backpack, rucksack, or other camping gear. Most of the better options come with a built-in stuff sack for easy storage. Anything packing down to size of a grapefruit (or smaller) is good going.
If you are a backpacker, even a few ounces can make a difference when you’re hauling a load for hours. If you plan to use the hammock while hiking or backpacking, then pick a lightweight option – we’d consider anything under 2 lbs (including suspension system) is good going.
Another consideration is the comfort of the hammock. Some are made of soft materials, while others may be scratchy. Go with smooth weaves for the best comfort
The type of environments you plan to use the hammock will indicate other features that might be important to you. If you’re in high humidity or wet environment, then a waterproofing or material that dries quickly might be features that are beneficial for you.
Some hanging systems come with ropes, and others come with straps. These are matters of your personal preference when it comes to suspension methods, but they’re worth thinking about.
Bear Butt Double Parachute Camping Hammock Review – Features, specifications & Benefits
- LUXURIOUS & DURABLE - This big 10 ft long 6 ft wide original Bear Butt camping Hammock is made from specially formulated 210T 75D Nylon Taffeta the strongest and most comfortable fabric available - much more durable than any net or mesh. Also the panels have reinforced triple stitching to provide extra strength durability and safety. So with a legal weight capacity of 500 lbs (we’ve tested it for over 800lbs) it comfortably holds one or two people so you can hang worry free between any two trees
- EVERYTHING YOU NEED - Our outdoor hammock and tree hammock comes with all the hardware: 2x 10 ft (others use 8 ft) high quality tactical grade rope suspensions specially formulated reinforced polyester end straps (holds a whopping 2000lbs) and a set of two solid steel d-shaped carabiners. This large backpacking hammock does not require a special stand stands or equipment to be set up. It works great in any setting whether outdoor or indoor or between two poles or two trees!
- FOR ALL LIFE'S ADVENTURES - Perfect for men women and kids who love backpacking traveling hiking & camping or even just taking a nap and sleeping on the patio porch deck beach by the pool tree in your own back yard or even your bedroom. Weighing only 1.5lbs, this folding packable two person hammock packs up small for storing and is the perfect 2 person hammock to take on any trip hike camp or adventure
- PERFECT PRICE - We know that price matters to you. So we found a way to make the highest quality and best rated hammocks in market at the perfect price point for you. Check out the reviews to see for yourself. We promise you won’t be disappointed. Plus it’s perfect for cool gadgets, college student gifts, adults, couples and teens
- 100% HAPPY CUSTOMER POLICY - We have a happy customer policy. It’s pretty simple. We want to make you happy. Whatever it takes. Hit us up at any time for any reason (replacement return exchange etc.). We want you to hang hassle-free and with no worries so you can sit back relax and enjoy the greatest hammocks in the world
Heavy-duty weight capacity
An attractive feature of the Bear Butt Hammock is its high weight capacity. While most hammocks in this price range offer weight limits between 250 and 400 pounds, clocking in at 700 lbs this blows most of the competition out of the water.
Dual person capacity/versatility
This hammock is made for 2. It’s versatile, and you’ll find it to be comfortable whether you use it alone or if a partner joins you. It’s ideal if you’re a larger person or if your partner wants to join you as long as your combined weight is not over 700 pounds.
Strong load-bearing models like this are hard to find. Further research into the testing showed that this model held up under a test of 900 pounds, but the manufacturer is keeping their claims conservative to be on the safe side. That’s integrity in retail, and it boosts confidence in the brand.
This hammock is portable for fast takedown and storage. It folds into a small 7″ x 4″ x 4″ size, and it also comes with an attached stuff sack so you won’t lose the carrying bag. It’s the ideal size for stashing in a backpack or the glove box of a vehicle. It doesn’t take up much space, and this is a valued feature for backpackers and campers.
If you do a lot of backpacking, you will appreciate the lightweight of the Bear Butt hammock. This hammock only weighs a pound and a half. This makes it a lot easier for you to carry for miles of foot travel. It helps to reduce your fatigue because it doesn’t add much to the overall weight of your pack.
The material that this hammock is made of is a unique reinforced Nylon Taffeta that has high weight-bearing strength. This makes the material strong enough to resist fraying, tearing, and wear. The hammock is made even more durable with reinforced triple stitching. This makes it more reliable and less vulnerable to tearing and stretching.
It’s uncomfortable when you wake up stuck to the fabric of a hammock on a warm afternoon. The material of this Bear Butt hammock is enhanced to make it breathable. It lets air pass through, and that helps to prevent a buildup of excessive body heat and sweat. Some heavier materials get uncomfortable because they’re too hot, but the unique fabric solves this problem.
High thread count
The weave of the fabric has a lot to do with its comfort level. This nylon taffeta has a 210 thread count, which means that it has the softness of a bedsheet for your maximum comfort.
Bear Butt took the initiative to use an innovative fabric type that would enhance comfort and performance in this hammock. The 75D Nylon material is unique to the market, and it’s not something that you will find in all other hammocks. This sets Bear Butt apart from the rest when it comes to comfort and strength.
The Bear Butt Double Parachute Camping hammock comes with a rope suspension system that in all honesty could be improved. It’s not as strong as it could be. An additional annoyance is that it doesn’t come with straps. Straps can provide you with extra security and tend to be gentler on trees. The solution to both of these issues is to buy a set of tree straps separately to use with the hammock.
One final potential downside is that this hammock is not double in thickness. This would be an improvement for enhancing longevity and possibly even comfort. This isn’t a deal-breaker, but it would give you even more comfort and reliability with a second layer.
It’s hard to find a heavy-duty camping hammock that will hold 2 or more persons and bear up under a weight load up to 700 pounds. The Bear Butt Double Parachute Camping Hammock delivers on its promise to do these things.
It’s ideal if you are a camper or if you enjoy backpacking because it is small and light, but durable and comfortable.
Why should you settle for less when you can have all the features that make your outdoor excursions more enjoyable? This hammock is loaded with features and benefits that will make your life a lot easier.
Last update on 2020-07-12 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API