Overall Best Hammock Tarp
Weighing in at only 10 oz., the Kammok Kuhli Pro Shelter is the superior choice for hammock tarp.
Generally, less weight means less durability for hammock tarps. This tarp breaks that stereotype, as it as among the most durable models and weighs about half of all other available hammock tarps.
The ripstop nylon construction makes this tarp highly resistant to tears, breaks and fraying, and the 1,200 mm polyurethane coating creates a highly waterproof seal.
The best hammock tarp has a multitude of uses. This is 100% true for the Kammok Kuhli Pro Shelter. Its eight reinforced guy points allow you to configure this tarp in dozens of different ways. When you are not utilizing it as a rain fly, it can become a camp kitchen cover, ground cover, or emergency shelter.
Bottom line: If you are in the market for a high quality, versatile, ultra-low weight hammock tarp, this is the best option.
Hammock Camping: Luxury in Minimalism
Although tents and trailers have long been the dominant shelters for most campers, hammock camping has seen a recent upsurge in popularity. For the minimalist camper or backpacker, the benefits of hammocks are many.
They are lightweight, do not require complicated poles to set up, and allow you to sleep above ground level, making the chances of an unwanted nighttime snake or rodent visitor much less likely.
But how do you stay dry in a hammock when the weather conditions deteriorate? Like a rain fly for your tent, your camping hammock needs a tarp to protect you from the elements. Our choice for the best hammock tarp for dry sleeping is the Kammok Kuhli Pro Shelter because of its versatile design, lightweight, and durable, extremely waterproof construction.
If you are interested in learning what makes a great hammock rainfly, read on.
Further reading: Just bought a hammock for camping trips & need a little advice?
Considerations when Choosing a Hammock Tarp
Best Tarp Size
To keep you warm and dry, a tarp must first cover your whole hammock. In general, a tarp should overhang your hammock by at least six inches on each side so that rain drains away from you and cannot just be blown from the edge of the tarp coverage into your cozy space.
If you are planning on camping in windy areas, you will want at least a foot of overhang to ensure you stay dry during storms.
A tarp’s width is generally more important when you want it to function as something other than a rain fly, like a camp kitchen cover or stand-alone shelter. The wider tarps provide more coverage & protection from the weather and the more alternative uses it has. However, wider tarps are also going to weigh more, so keep that in mind.
Different Tarp Shapes & Benefits
Hammock tarps come in a variety of different shapes. Choosing the right shape depends on how much coverage from rain and wind you are looking for. All tarps sit above your hammock on a ridge line, so really, the main difference is how their shape lends itself to weather coverage and anchoring.
Rectangular tarps anchor at their four corners with either stakes or tree straps (check out our guide to the best hammock straps). This is the classic tarp design and has been used for decades because it is sturdy and reliable. The airflow is minimal, but rectangular tarps offer the best coverage from windblown rain.
Similar to rectangular tarps but with a U-shaped crest, catenary tarps weigh less than their rectangular counterparts. They offer almost the same level of coverage as rectangular tarps, and their aerodynamic shape makes them sturdier in high winds.
Diamond Square Tarps
Diamond square tarps anchor at only two corners, so they are generally the least stable in windy conditions. They comprise some of the lightest-weight options but diamond shape tarps typically do not provide as good coverage as catenary or rectangular tarps do in high winds.
For calm, rainy conditions where you need to pack light, diamond square tarps are the gold standard.
Hexagonal tarps anchor at four edges and their unique design makes them lighter weight than rectangular tarps that offer the same coverage. These provide excellent coverage and airflow but also tend to be the most expensive hammock tarps.
Tarp Materials, Weight & Durability
As with most outdoor gear, what a hammock tarp is made of will determine its overall weight and durability. From heaviest to lightest, the most commonly used materials are:
“Heaviest” is a relative term when it comes to hammock tarps. While it is true ripstop nylon is the heaviest material, many ripstop nylon tarps — like the Kammok Kuhli Pro Shelter — weigh just over half a pound. Ripstop nylon is the most durable material, making it very popular with all but the most weight-conscious backpackers.
Silicon-Impregnated Ripstop Nylon
Also known as sil-nylon, this fabric is not quite as durable as traditional ripstop tarps but generally weighs quite a bit less. This fabric finds an excellent middle ground between the durability of plain ripstop nylon and the low weight of Dyneema composite.
Dyneema Composite: Dyneema composite tarps weigh the least of all available fabrics and is mainly utilized by ultralight backpackers. It tends to be more expensive than the other two options and is the least durable.
However, if you are backpacking in a temperate region and your primary concern is trimming weight, the Dyneema composite is the clear choice.
Waterproofing and How it is Rated
How waterproof a material is measured in millimeters with a rating system called Hydrostatic Head (HH). Essentially, a cylinder of water is placed on top of a fabric, and water is added to the cylinder until it begins to seep through the fabric due to the increased hydrostatic pressure of the water.
All you need to remember is: the larger the HH rating, the more waterproof your tarp will be. Generally, an HH rating of at least 1,000 mm means a material is considered “fully waterproof.” Anything under 1,000 mm is “water-resistant.”
For hammock tarps that will need to stand up to the worst weather conditions, like wind-driven rainfall, the higher the HH rating, the better.
Ease of Setup
If you can set up your hammock, you will have no problem setting up a hammock tarp. However, practice makes perfect, so set up your hammock and tarp a few times at home before heading off to the woods.
Consisting of a ridgeline as a peak and multiple guy lines for stability and support, hammock tarps are generally faster and easier to set up than most tent rain fly. Experiment with different tensioners and guy line configurations to see what works best for you.
Further reading: Check out our guide which gives you the lowdown on hammock tarp setups.
Frequently Asked Questions About Hammock Tarps
How to Pitch a Hammock Tarp
Generally, a hammock tarp sits above your hammock supported by its own ridgeline. The two ends of the ridgeline are usually tied off to the same tree that your hammock is secured to.
Depending on what style of tarp you have, the outer guy-out points can either be tied to adjacent trees or tied to stakes around your hammock.
Since water always flows downhill, it is important to tie a drip line on your ridgeline. A drip line is a simple piece of rope or cloth that collects and drips off water before it has a chance to follow the ridgeline down to drip above your head.
A splayed hammock tarp will provide the most ground cover in wet conditions but will block less wind than a tarp that is secured closer to the base of your hammock.
HELP! My Hammock Tarp Is Sagging!
A sagging hammock tarp can be annoying and can also let water pool, which could eventually cause a tear in the tarp itself. Generally, a sagging tarp means the ridgeline is not tight. Check your knots or tensioners to make sure they have not come loose.
Tarps often sag after heavy precipitation because of water in the line. If the line is saturated, it may have slackened, meaning you will have to re-tie it.
Also, if you have tied your ridgeline directly on to your hammock suspension, try re-tying it about six inches higher on each side. This will make the ridgeline tighter and help prevent sagging.
Need to purchase more hammock accessories?
- Give yourself complete protection from nature with a great bug net for hammocks.
- Build an awesome sleep system with our reviews of:
Reviews of the Top Hammock Rainflys
ENO ProFly Hammock Rain Tarp
- RAIN, RAIN, GO AWAY: Made of polyurethane-treated 210D ripstop nylon, the ProFly offers long-lasting wear and features the best water-shedding capabilities. Stay dry and cozy all night long.
- SAFE FROM ANY STORM: Features six points to connect, so you can feel secure lounging underneath. Ideal for weathering sudden downpours or building a waterfront basecamp.
- ADVENTURE READY: Weighing only 22 ounce, the ProFly includes a stuff sack, making it convenient to take on trips or store when not in use.
- KEEP YOUR GEAR DRY: The ProFly Rain Tarp is versatile and durable, making it the perfect shelter for your tarp, to protect your gear, clothes, backcountry kitchen, or your furry friend.
- PLEASE NOTE: ENO attempts to reduce potential waste by using every bit of fabric available in production, so the color of the stuff sack and stitching might vary from what is pictured. (Tarps do not come with stakes. Stakes are sold separately.)
Weighing in at 22 oz., the Eno Profly is a light, hexagonal tarp that combines maximum coverage with superior airflow and ventilation. With six attachment points, this is an extremely sturdy hammock tarp that should stay rooted in place in even the most inclement weather conditions.
Composed of 1,000 mm polyurethane-treated 210D Ripstop nylon, this tarp is both waterproof and resistant to tears and punctures. If you are a backpacker who does not want to compromise adequate waterproofing just to cut weight, consider this tarp.
The ENO ProFly stretches out to 10 ft. 6 in. x 6 ft. 4 in., meaning it is large enough to cover even the largest hammock camper comfortably. Its six-point attachment has the added benefit of blocking out the wind from almost every angle, so even on a gusty night, you should stay cozy and dry.
Also, if you need coverage for your camp kitchen or small seating area when your hammock is packed, this tarp has ample size to keep other areas around camp dry.
Suggested Further Reading: Check out the ProFly’s sister product in our ENO Housefly Review.
- Pretty lightweight (22 oz)
- Secure, six-point connection
- Superior wind coverage
- Polyurethane coating means it dries quickly
- Stakes are not included
Bottom line: This model generally costs about half of what the highest-level hammock tarps cost, but its intelligent design and durable, waterproof composition allow it to compete with the big boys.
Kammok Kuhli Pro Shelter
Best Hammock Tarp
- ULTRALIGHT CAMPING TARP: At just 10 oz, the tapered, hexagonal design of the Kuhli Ultralight backpacking tarp provides ground-to-air shelter without unnecessary weight. When expanded, the Kuhli Ultralight opens up to 132 in x 88 in, providing shelter for one hammock camper or up to two people when lounging on the ground. The Sil/PU coated stuff sack compresses the Kuhli to decrease its volume when not in use.
- WEATHERPROOF PROTECTION: Constructed with our Patagium fabric, the Kuhli Ultralight camping tarp is Sil/PU and DWR coated with seam seals to stand the test of rain and snow. Hypalon anchors reinforce guy outs to sustain high winds and inclement weather.
- QUICK AND EASY KNOTLESS SETUP: Ground-to-air, the Kuhli Ultralight sets up effortlessly. Line-lock and tensioners suspend the camping tarp above you, while 8 different guyout points work with the four included stakes and trekking poles to secure it closer to the ground.
- LIMITLESS SETUP MODES: The Kuhli Ultralight offers infinite pitch configurations to adapt to varied environments. All anchor points are reinforced with Hypalon, providing ultimate protection from high winds and inclement weather. The Kuhli Ultralight comes with 4 stakes, 8 guylines, and a waterproof stuff sack. Use telescoping or trekking pole tips to create your canopy in tree-less terrain.
- LIFETIME WARRANTY: We stand by our gear. Every Kammok product is covered by a lifetime warranty, so you can be confident your gear will outlast your adventures. Register your product and learn more about our Lifetime Warranty at kammok.com/pages/warranty-and-returns
If a Swiss Army knife were a tarp, it would be the hexagonal Kammok Kuhli Pro Shelter. With eight connection points, this tarp can be folded and deployed into dozens of different configurations.
Composed of Patagium 15D diamond ripstop nylon and coated with 1,200 mm silicone and polyurethane, this tarp provides superior waterproofing and durability.
Fully deployed, the Kammok Kuhli stretches out to 11 ft. x 7 ft. 4 in., so it is large enough for any sized hammock and can be easily redeployed to shelter any other portion of camp.
The tarp weighs only 10 oz. alone and 20 oz. with stuff sack, four stakes, and eight guy-lines (all included). Combined with the durability of the ripstop nylon, this low weight makes this tarp appealing to backpackers and average campers alike.
- Extremely lightweight (10 oz.)
- Durable, waterproof constructions
- Guy-lines and stakes included
- Easy to set up
- Large, versatile shelter
- More expensive than most hammock tarps, but worth every penny
Bottom line: The Kammok Kuhli Pro Shelter is exceptionally light, sturdy, and highly functional. It is our top pick for overall superior hammock tarp for comfortable, dry sleeping.
REDCAMP Waterproof Hammock Tarp
Best Hammock Tarp – Budget Option
- MULTI-PURPOSE: The camping tent tarp can be used as backpack tent tarp, rain tarp shelter, shade tarp for beach/park, hammock rain fly, picnic mat, beach grassland blanket, simple tent etc
- WATERPROOF: The waterproof tent tarp is made of 210T polyester ripstop PU2000mm
- LIGHTWEIGHT: The large tent tarp has 6*aluminum stakes, 6*wind ropes, just weight 1.8lbs/0.83kg. Open size is 118"x118"/300cmx300cm
- EASY TO CARRY: The camping tent tarp has a storage bag, you can put in your backpack or camping car. It's just spend a little space
- 100% MONEY BACK GUARANTEE: REDCAMP offers a 365-day full manufacturer warranty. If any piece broken, contact us and we issue you a full refund or a replacement
Advertised as a tarp that can be used as anything from a tent fly to a car cover, the REDCAMP is a square tarp that measures 9 ft. 8 in. on each side when fully extended. There are nine connection points, but only the four outside corners have grommets, which will impede how many configurations you can get in setting up this tarp.
Weighing in at almost two lbs., this is one of the heavier tarps on the list. However, it is sturdy, and the fact that it is made of 2,000 mm, 210T polyester urethane-coated ripstop nylon means this tarp should stand up to most abuse that you subject it to.
The 2000 mm HH rating means the fabric of this tarp will provide excellent protection from the elements, even in the stormiest conditions.
The one waterproofing concern is that this tarp is taped along the seams. While that is fine for general use, the tape may not hold up well to repeated exposure to high volumes of water.
For the average camper, however, this tarp will be more than sufficient. Properly attaching a drip line to your ridgeline will help keep you snug and dry even if a little bit of moisture does seep through the taped seams.
- Large enough to cover any size hammock
- Reasonably priced
- Adequately waterproof
- Also comes with stakes and ropes
- Taped seams may not provide complete waterproofing in all weather conditions
- Gromets are not reinforced
Bottom line: The REDCAMP is more than adequate if you are a new hammock camper who plans on sleeping out in mild conditions. It is affordable and will get the job done.
Hennessy Hammock Hex Tarp
- Weight: 27 oz / 765 g, Packed Size: 3.5" x 11" / 9cm x 30cm
- PU-coated polyester ripstop rainfly works with all Hennessy Hammock models providing generous protection from wind and rain
- Can be angled out to provide a large covered area for cooking or relaxing or can be staked down near the ground on both sides of the hammock.
- Color: Bark; Shape: Symmetrical Hex
- Rainfly Fabric: 70D Polyeurethane Coated Polyester Rip-stop; Rainfly Dimensions: Size 143" on centerline x 120" wide symmetrical hexagonal shape
Another hexagonal hammock tarp, the Hennessy Hammock Hex, has six connection points that allows it to be flared out to provide a large covered area or staked close to your hammock for maximum protection from the wind. Fully deployed, it measures 12 ft. 11 in. along the center line and 10 ft. wide.
Another highly durable choice, the Hennessy Hammock Hex, is made of 1,000 mm 70D polyurethane-coated polyester ripstop nylon. Its HH protection rating ensures it will remain waterproof in all but the most extreme conditions.
However, lightweight, it is not. Both its size and composition mean this tarp weighs 27 oz. But, considering you could fit two hammocks under this one tarp, it is an excellent choice for two-person camps looking to simplify gear.
If you are looking for a tarp that will provide coverage to a large amount of ground area and could comfortably shelter two sleepers, this is your pick.
- Polyester rope included
- Large coverage area
- Reinforced connection points
- At 27 oz., this is not a lightweight tarp
Bottom line: This is a sturdy tarp that will provide your camp with a large, dry area that can comfortably sleep two hammocks.
Snugpak All Weather Hammock Shelter
Best for Durabilty
- Constructed of completely waterproof rip-stop lightweight polyester with taped seams; square shaped, dimensions are 10 feet by 10 feet
- Comes with a mesh front zippered carrying case; packs down to 9 by 5 by 3 inches; weighs 2.2 pounds, includes 8 alloy stakes
- Configure the shelter to your needs; can be set up as a rainfly, tarp, lean-to, emergency bivvi, or other free-standing shelters
- Includes 4 extendable guy lines that measure 10 feet long each; plastic snaps line 2 opposite sides so it can be snapped into a bivvi
- Features reinforced corners with grommets and is equipped with nylon webbing loops along the spine and sides for use with guy ropes or stakes
A square hammock tarp featuring six connection points, the Snugpak is another versatile option. Snugpak has been a household name in gear since 1977.
Designed by military veterans, this is the ideal tarp to have on hand if your hammock should somehow fail. Made of 2,000 mm, 210T ripstop nylon material with anti-UV, and polyurethane coating, this tarp has high waterproof protection and will resist degradation due to sun exposure. The reinforced connection points and nylon webbing mean that this tarp can easily transition from a rain fly to an emergency shelter.
The Snugpak’s dimensions are 10 ft. on each side, providing coverage for all hammock sizes and allowing it to be used in other capacities as well.
While this is not an ultralight tarp, its 40 oz tarp weight is another indication of durability. If you want a tarp you could feel comfortable using as an under-pad for a tent as well as as a rain fly for a hammock, the Snugpak is up to the challenge.
- Reinforced connection points
- Designed for survival by experienced military veterans
- Large enough to be versatile
Bottom line: This is a durable, well-built, no-frills tarp that is designed to stand up to whatever you can throw at it.
Chill Gorilla HEX Hammock
Best Total Kit
- WATERPROOF CAMPING HAMMOCK TARP & TENT COVER. Backpackers LOVE the hex (cat fly) design - maximum coverage & lighest weight. Military soldiers love our Rain Fly / Tent Tarp. SURVIVAL GEAR.
- TRUST OVER 940 COMBINED AMAZON RAINFLY REVIEWS! Whether hiking, camping, backpacking, or on a motorcycle our lightweight rainfly protects from rain, wind, bad weather & provides shade from the sun!
- EASY TO SETUP. Use as ultralight rain tarp, emergency shelter, tent footprint or camping canopy. Easily covers double hammocks w bug net & underquilt, tents, & shelters. REVIEWS SHOW EVEN MORE USES!
- CHILL GORILLA CRUSHES THE COMPETITION. Compare to Hennessy, dd tarp, Gold Armour, Tera Hiker, Redcamp, ENO, Kelty, Bushcraft, Outad, Aqua Quest, Wise Owl, Free Soldier etc. BEST VALUE FOR YOUR MONEY!
Founded by a former U.S. Marine, Chill Gorilla is an Oregon-based outdoor equipment company. The HEX hammock rain fly is a hexagonal tarp with six reinforced connection points measuring 12 ft. 11 in. at the center line and 9 ft. in width.
This tarp is made of 2,000 mm, polyurethane-treated ripstop nylon, which gives great waterproofing protection even in high winds or during a downpour. Weighing in at 22 oz., this is not the most lightweight hammock tarp available, but it is pretty close.
If you want to try backpacking with a hammock but do not want to pay a fortune for a tarp, consider this option. It is light enough not to weigh down your pack but still sturdy enough to hold up to multiple trips.
The kit also comes with six three-meter long guy lines with tensioners, four aluminum stakes, and stuff sack each for the rain fly and its accessories. This kit has everything you need to cover your hammock adequately, and the included stuff sacks help keep this system organized.
- Reasonably lightweight (22 oz)
- Stakes, lines, and stuff sacks are all included
- Easy to set up with tie-less tensioners
- Included guy lines are nylon, not paracord
Bottom line: This is a fully outfitted rain fly kit that gives you a variety of setup configurations and styles. It is an excellent value for the price.
Wise Owl Outfitters Tarp
- The High Quality & Durable Rain Tarp You Need! - The WiseFly rainfly will keep you dry and comfortable with unparalleled weather protection and water shedding capability. This is serious gear that was thoughtfully designed to be practical, reliable, durable and sets up in minutes.
- An Outdoor Essential! - Our WiseFly Rain Tarps are ideal for sunshade, hiking, camping, backpacking, boating, sporting events, festivals and travel. There are so many uses!
- Two Great Options! - Our premium rain fly is big giving you all the coverage you need. It’s 11 ft by 9 ft, packs down to just 5” x 9” and weighs a mere 26 oz, making it easy to take with you, put in your backpack, etc. The Rain Tarp LITE, similarly, is 11 ft by 9 ft, packs down to a tiny 4” x 8.5” and weighs even less at 18.9 oz! Our rain fly’s easily cover a SinlgleOwl, DoubleOwl, Singlenest, Doublenest or any other similar hammock out there.
- The Best Value in One Complete Package! - The premium version comes with 4 high quality aluminum tent stakes, six guy lines that are 10 feet each and already attached. Our Rain Tarp LITE comes with 2 high quality aluminum tent stakes with 4 tie lines, also 10 feet each. Carry bag included as well.
- 100% Satisfaction Guarantee! - If for any reason you do not love your rain fly let us know and we will take care of you no questions asked. We have a reputation for excellent customer service that is USA Based!
Wise Owl is a Tennessee-based, family-owned outdoor gear manufacturer. Their rain fly tarp is hexagonal and measures 11 ft. x 9 ft., meaning it is more than large enough to double as a camp shelter when it is not in use.
Made of 1,000 mm, polyurethane-sealed 210T ripstop nylon, the Wise Owl provides adequate protection for most weather conditions. However, its seams are taped, which is fine for general use but may not hold up to prolonged soaking.
This kit also includes six 10-ft. cords with tensioners, four aluminum stakes, and a carrying bag. It has everything you need to set up your hammock tarp in a variety of orientations. Measuring just 5 in. by 11 in. packed down, this kit is the most portable option on the list from a space-saving perspective.
Weighing 26 oz., this is a medium-weight tarp that is functional for all but extremely weight-conscious backpackers.
- Packs down small
- Guy lines and stakes included
- Easy to set up
- Large footprint
- Taped seams may not hold up to prolonged soaking
Bottom line: Wise Owl has conveniently packaged everything you need for easy transport. This kit is excellent if you do not want to have to shop around for stakes, guy lines, and tensioners.
Further reading: If you can’t find any trees then consider buying a collapsible hammock stand.
Last update on 2021-01-23 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API