Best Windproof Lighter for Hiking & Camping
Zippo Chrome Lighters
Best Windproof Lighter
Zippo is a well-known American lighter company, and its common knowledge that their lighters are amazing. As the original manufacturer of windproof lighters, they’re expected to be the best, and they excel at this task. They give a lifetime guarantee on their lighters because they’re built to last.
At first glance, Zippo lighters look plain when you compare it to all the other “hi-tech” lighters on the market. However, it’s a lighter that does its job well. Zippo focuses on that rather than gimmicky, unnecessary technology. There’s nothing wrong with impressive features, but at the end of the day, you just need the best windproof lighter you can get. However, they do offer their lighters in a plethora of colors and prints, so you get some opportunity to customize your lighter.
This Zippo model is a windproof butane lighter. It is excellent for lighting anything, and, like most Zippo lighters, it’s offered at a decent price range. The versatility, quality, and price make it the perfect windproof lighter for any situation.
Whether you’re lighting a cigarette, a candle, or a campfire, it’s a losing battle when it’s windy outside. Traditional lighters are cheap, but it’s still a waste of money if you can’t light anything with them. That’s where a windproof lighter can save you. They are especially handy for hikers and campers where your safety may depend on them.
In this guide, we’ll tell you everything you need to know about windproof lighters. We’ve even provided a list of nine of the best windproof lighters around. By the end of the guide, you’ll be so well-versed in windproof lighters that you might want to ditch the flint and steel for good.
How Do Windproof Lighters Differ from Regular Lighters?
Windproof lighters have a technology that mixes the fuel with air. This is done by passing the fuel through a catalytic coil and then using an electric spark to ignite the fuel. This essentially creates a fuel that is “thirsty” for air – it burns on contact with the air. The more air, the more it burns.
Types of Windproof Lighters & Which Works Best in Windy Conditions
A butane lighter is the classic lighter that most people are familiar with. Butane lighters are usually the least expensive of the three types. They are reusable but require you to keep a supply of butane handy.
Some electric lighters heat a coil instead of shooting out a flame. This lighter isn’t suitable for all applications. It’s great for smokers, but you may find some challenges with it if you want to light anything else.
Plasma models are relatively new technology. Plasma lighters are usually the most expensive type of lighter out of the three, but three benefits make the price worth it.
- For one, it’s environmentally friendly because you aren’t any VOCs or other harmful molecules to the air. There is no fuel to burn, and you aren’t using up any natural resources.
- It’s safer than other lighter types. There is no flame, so you don’t have to worry about setting anything (or yourself) on fire.
- It’s virtually unlimited and lasts a lifetime (unless it breaks). You won’t run out of fuel, and you don’t have to refill it.
Due to these benefits, plasma technology models are quickly catching on. You may come across many hikers, campers, fishers, and other outdoor types that use plasma lighters because of their windproof property combined with the additional benefits.
How Lighters are Helpful in Outdoor Use
There is nothing more frustrating than having to continually click a lighter while cupping it and spinning in circles just to get a flame. It’s often windy outside, and even when it’s not, you can’t predict when a random gust of wind is going to come through. You don’t have to worry about any of this with windproof lighters. They can be used for camping, hiking, bonfires, burning trash, lighting cigarettes, and more.
How to Choose the Best Lighters for Your Needs
Here are a few criteria you can use to refine your lighter choice further:
If you’re going to be around water, you should choose a waterproof lighter. With all lighter types, once they’re wet, they’re useless. Even if you aren’t going to be around water, you may want to consider a waterproof lighter in case it rains.
How often will you use the lighter? If you’ll use it regularly, you should choose one with an ample fuel or charge capacity, so you don’t have to refill/charge it continually.
Shopping for Your next Outdoors Adventure?
You may also need the following safety devices:
- Never let your devices run out of juice and leave you stranded – we review some of the best model to determine the best backpacking battery charger.
- A simple hiking thermometer can often be a great lightweight tool to help stay ahead of changing weather conditions.
- We’ve done the hard work to select the “best flashlight for camping” – never get caught out in the dark again.
Best Windproof Lighters Reviewed
Oiikury Electric Plasma Arc
The Oiikury has a unique feature. To light it, the lighter is fingerprint activated. It doesn’t stop there. You don’t have to touch it – you can simply hover your finger over the fingerprint reader, and it reads your print through the air. Known as a floating-touch sensor, this technology discourages thieves and keeps your product from accidentally lighting.
- Fingerprint sensor.
- LED battery life display.
- Double plasma arc.
- Can be charged from almost any device with a USB cable.
- Arcs are recessed so you can’t light some things.
- Only get an average of 150 uses per charge.
Bottom Line: This is the perfect product for people who are into hi-tech gear.
SaberLight Sparq Plasma Beam
Most Versatile Plasma Lighter
The SaberLight Sparq is one of the most versatile models because the plasma electric arc isn’t blocked like many others. It protrudes out, and the cap flips back so you can light virtually anything if you so choose. This makes it easy to light campfires and yard trash, or any other large items. Needless to say, lighting small items with this model is very easy.
- Plasma arcs aren’t blocked.
- Come with a one-year warranty.
- Double plasma arc.
- Cap isn’t very secure.
- A little too easy to press the on button.
Bottom Line: With a versatile model like the Sparq, you can rest assured that you’ll be able to light anything.
- 1 – Tesla Coil Lighters Arc Lighter
- Size: 3” x 1.75” x 0.5” / Weight 3 oz (Arc length: 5mm)
- USB Rechargeable
- Safe and easy to use, lights at the click of a button
- A full charge can last up to a week or 100-300 uses
Before diving in, it’s worth saying that this company is not affiliated with the Tesla car company. However, Tesla produces amazing products. This model is made with metal instead of plastic, like many of its competitors. It’s not flimsy, and even the on button feels like it’s high-quality. It’s great to have a product that is manufactured to last.
- Comes in three different colors.
- Keeping cover down prevents accidental activation.
- Comes with a soft storage pouch.
- Lid partially blocks plasma arcs.
Bottom Line: This is a well-manufactured, high-quality windproof lighter that is made to last.
Best Lighter for Windy Conditions
- Genuine Zippo windproof lighter with distinctive Zippo "click"
- All metal construction; Windproof design works virtually anywhere
- Refillable for a lifetime of use; For optimum performance, we recommend genuine Zippo premium fuel, flints, and wicks
- Made in USA; Lifetime guarantee that "it works or we fix it free"
- Fuel: Zippo lighter fuel (sold separately)
Zippo, an American company, founded in 1932, manufactured the world’s first butane windproof lighters. They’ve perfected the technology since then and remains as one of the world’s most recognized brands in the space. Zippo’s products may not have all the bells and whistles that other models have, but they offer quality over everything else. Their products have a lifetime guarantee if you use OEM parts and fuel.
- Lifetime guarantee.
- Perfect choice for hiking/camping.
- Distinctive Zippo “click” to let you know it’s authentic.
- Available in multiple colors/patterns.
- Expensive for a butane lighter.
Bottom Line: This is the best quality windproof lighter on the market.
Q&G Explorer Double Electric Arc Plasma
Most Rugged Lighter
- The internal lithium-ion battery eliminates the need for liquid fuel, and it can be easily recharged via any USB port using the included cord. It can also be used at all altitudes without requiring oxygen intake adjustment;
- Buoyant, waterproof wilderness lighter with O-ring sealed cover and locking clasp; durable, impact resistant ABS Zinc alloy case ,Windproof flame can withstand winds up to 80 mph (129 km/H);
- Featuring an impact resistant ABS Zinc alloy design, the top clips securely closed to keep out water and the elements. the lighter offers easy push-button operation for quick fire starting in any conditions;
- Easy starting with simple push button operation, it has a convenient blue indicator that lights when in use and a 10-second time-out safety feature;
- The waterproof electric lighter ignition sparks a flame even in wet conditions.Compact lighter is nicely pocketable, great for backpacking, hunting, and hiking;
If you’re rough on your kit or you’re going to be in extreme weather conditions, you’ll need a model that can handle some abuse. The Explorer has all the great qualities of a rugged product – a crush-proof exterior, waterproof-windproof design, secure lid, and a sturdy handle for a lanyard.
- Lid folds back more than 90 degrees.
- O-ring sealed cover.
- Two-year warranty.
- Included lanyard is flimsy.
- Only averages 150 lighter uses/ch.
Bottom Line: The Explorer can handle just about anything that’s thrown at it.
Bolt USB Rechargeable Lighter
Most Compact Option
- One - 3.25" X 0.5" X 0.25" Black Color Bolt Ligther Slim Electric Coil Lighter
- The lighter comes in a Gift box and includes USB charging cable
- Safe and easy to use, coil heats up when sliding opening the cover
- USB Rechargeable, no more butane refill needed!
- For lighting up regular cigarettes only, does not product any flame.
Here is a product that can literally fit in your fingertips. It’s so tiny – it measures 3.25″ X 0.5″ X 0.25″. This windproof model is a coil lighter. Coil products are made specifically for cigarettes. You could try to light a candle, but it may not work.
- Very compact.
- Can fit into a cigarette box easily.
- Comes in four different colors.
- Only suitable for lighting cigarettes.
- It’s easy to lose it.
Bottom Line: If you want a compact, inconspicuous cigarette lighter at a great price, the Bolt model is a solid choice.
Mopoq Touchscreen Electronic Lighter
This is one of the coolest products on the market. Not only is it fingerprint enabled, but it features an edgy artwork/icon. Choose between a dragon, a wolf, or a tiger icon. You can also choose black, purple, or gold-colored model. It even comes in a beautiful gift box in case you’re getting it for someone else.
- Great artwork.
- Comes with a backup spiral.
- Closed cap keeps it from activating accidentally.
- Battery indicator
- Only averages 60 uses.
Bottom Line: It’s a tremendous windproof cigarette lighter for people who like hip, edgy products.
UCO Stormproof Flame Torch Lighter
Best Option for Hiking/Camping
- Refillable waterproof and windproof butane lighter (butane not included due to hazardous goods shipping regulation); includes 3-feet of utility tape
- Field-tested emergency survival accessory features triple jet, windproof, water-proof, adjustable flame
- Two Styles (sold separately): With utility that tape tears off easily and adheres to just about anything; or with an incorporated bottle opener
- Holds enough butane for approximately 700 ignitions; piezo-electric ignition system will last for over 30,000 uses
- Durable ABS and silicon construction; dimensions: 1.87 x 1.25 x 4.12 inches (4.8 cm x 3.2 cm x 10.5); 3.4 Ounces
This is a model for a real “survivalist” type. Not only is it a tremendous windproof butane fuel lighter, but it comes with a built-in bottle opener and 3 feet of utility tape that you can peel off and use for just about anything. The waterproof silicone cap has a clip that allows you to secure it to your gear, or you can toss it into your bugout bag.
- Adjustable flame height.
- The piezo-electric ignition system lasts for 30,000 uses.
- Has a built-in bottle opener.
- Has three flame jets.
- Tape is not waterproofed.
- Body made of plastic.
Bottom Line: This is a great, practical product to have with you on a camping or hiking trip.
Tacklife ELY03 Plasma Arc
Most Convenient Windproof Lighter
The Tacklife is a plasma model that looks like a USB flash drive. It even has the button that you push up, which reveals the prongs for the plasma arc. It’s a single-arc device that is very handy and convenient. In fact, you can charge it from devices using a USB cord.
- Simple to use.
- Use 300 times per charge.
- Auto-power off after 10 seconds.
- Doesn’t come with a wall adapter.
- Tip is tiny, even smaller than a cigarette.
Bottom Line: This is a great product for someone who wants something convenient and easy to use.
Last update on 2023-01-29 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API