Serac Classic Hammock Overview
If you’re looking for the best, Serac Hammocks come in at the top of the line in the category of affordable yet dependable day hammocks. The Serac Hammock delivers on its promise to provide you with a fast and comfortable sleeping space that goes up quickly and easily.
It comes with a lightweight single camping hammock, two carabiners, two tree straps, and a built-in stuff sack for storage and carrying. It’s one of the most complete hammock setups. You’ll find all the information you need with complete details in this hammock review.
The Serac company was founded by an outdoor enthusiast who loved hammocking. He realized the need for a durable product that would provide sturdy protection while allowing you to take in the magnificence of nature outside of four walls of a tent. The mission of Serac is to provide hammocks that are tree-friendly, convenient, and affordable in a simple method of shelter.
- Fast and easy to set up
- Lightweight shelter
- Ready to set up out of the box
- Low price point
- 5-year warranty
- Harder to get carabiners through wide straps
- Not the most durable
- Colors bleed when wet
The bottom line: This hammock is ideal for anyone looking for a cheap day hammock, or for backpackers/campers looking for an entry-level product to try out hammock camping.
Things to consider before you buy a hammock
Where will you use this hammock, and under what circumstance? Are you a backpacker, camper, or is it for back yard use? The way that you use it will indicate the features that will be the most useful.
Check to make sure a product that is capable of holding your body weight – most hammocks have a weight limit between 300-400 lbs, but it’s always good to check.
Check out the dimensions of the hammock before you buy it. Make sure that it is big enough to provide a comfortable place to rest, so you can stretch out without feeling cramped.
Packed Size & Weight
If you plan to take it along hiking, it’s important to buy a hammock that folds down into a small size that will fit easily into your backpack. The smaller, the better, and this hammock folds up into a tiny parcel that fits into the included drawstring bag.
The weight of the hammock becomes a significant factor if you carry it in a backpack for hours at a time. Lightweight models are much more comfortable to carry. This hammock weighs less than a full pound.
The best hammocks offer you the convenience of quick and easy assembly, preferably without the need for special tools for setup. Ideally, the hammock you buy will come with everything you need to set it up right out of the box.
Serac Classic Features, Specifications & Benefits Review
- DURABILITY YOU CAN DEPEND ON for years to come. Don't waste time with cheap hammocks that last you just one season. Battle tested in the Sierras, durability is our top priority. Over 400lbs can be supported by the highest quality parachute nylon and triple-stitched seams. Rest easy every time you're looking to hang.
- Simple & Blazing Fast Setup: After a long day's hike, the last thing you need is stress. GET SETUP IN SECONDS! Our easy to use Tree hugger straps with anchor points lets you control the height and slack for your perfect comfort.
- Everything fits in the portable drawstring stuff sack. Whether you’re on a weeklong expedition or just escaping the workweek to steal a quick nap. Take your hammock anywhere and everywhere.
- There are so many copycat travel hammocks to choose from these days. So many with the same features, but none with the INDUSTRY LEADING CUSTOMER SERVICE that we provide. As a 2 man company, we do our best to personally be by your side whenever you need help. If you don’t love your hammock, we’ve got the best customer service and we won’t leave you hanging.
- Here’s everything you get: 14oz Ultralight Single Camping Hammock, two 6ft tree straps, attached portable stuff sack, 2 ultra strong carbon steel carabiners all backed by amazing customer service and a 5-year unlimited warranty
Ready to go out of the box
Everything you need to set this hammock up is included in the package. It even comes with tree-friendly straps that are extra wide to protect the tree bark from damage. You don’t need any tools for setup. This is a fully self-contained outdoor hammock setup that makes it more convenient, and it is also one of the best values for the cost.
Assembling this hammock is quick and hassle-free. It’s as easy as finding two trees spaced 10-12 feet apart, attaching the straps to the trees, then snapping the carabiners on the hammock to the straps. You can have an instant sleeping shelter in minutes.
You can adjust the height to suit your preferences by adjusting the anchor points on the straps. These allow you to adjust not only the height but also the amount of slack in the hammock for the perfect fit and comfort for your body.
Made with parachute nylon, the Serac hammock tips the scales at a mere 14 ounces. This is ideal if you are a backpacker because it is one of the lightest products on the market today without sacrificing quality and strength.
This hammock is easy to take down when it’s not in use. It folds into a small and compact size (7” x 6”), so it fits easily into a backpack or rucksack without taking up a lot of space. This makes it ideal for when you’re hiking or backpacking and must walk into your campsites. A drawstring bag for storage is also included, which makes this a convenient way for you to store the hammock and straps.
There are only a few things that you might take exception with this product. The straps are extra-wide, and this makes it harder for the carabiners to fit, but it’s not a deal-breaker. It just takes a few seconds more and a little extra muscle, but it’s nothing over the top. The wide straps are healthier for the trees, so if you care about the environment, it’s a good trade-off.
The second thing for you to be aware of is that this hammock tends to be tight for bigger guys. If you are over 6 ft, 5 inches may want to consider a larger model.
Lastly, and of the greatest concern is the use of non-ripstop nylon which means that the hammock is not as durable as higher price camping hammocks. There has also been reports of the colors bleeding if it gets wet.
The Serac Classic is a brilliant solution if you’re looking for a cheap entry-level hammock for either day napping or occasional hammock camping.
Last update on 2021-10-23 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API